1. Grace is a very complex character. How did you feel about her? Did you feel any compassion for her?
2. Do you think the traumatic event Grace suffered in childhood contributed to her paranoia? Are some people more susceptible to carry guilt than others? Is Grace’s guilt understandable?
3. Dan has a secret he is hiding from Grace. Is it ever justifiable in a relationship to keep something from someone you love ‘for their own good’? Do you think he should have been more honest?
4. In part this is a story about friendship and the shifting dynamics between a group of girls as they grow up. Charlie found herself in an impossible situation. How might she have handled things differently while remaining loyal?
5. This novel alternates between the past and the present. Did you find this structure worked and helped build up the tension?
6. What did you assume about Anna throughout the book? How did this change by the end?
7. Do you think Grace and Dan make a good couple or have they outgrown each other?
8. The Sister is very much about lies. The lies we tell ourselves. The lies we tell other people. Do all people lie to some degree? Can you understand the characters reasons for doing so?
9. Were you satisfied with the ending of the book? Did you guess?
10. What do you think happens to the characters after the epilogue?